Online dating has permanently changed how we find love in the modern world. It has given rise to a buffet of potential matches, and all we have to do is keep returning to the buffet and sampling other dishes. It has given rise to multi-dating, polyamorous love, and an ever increasing hook-up culture. Some say it has destroyed romance, and long-term relationships, and in many ways it has devalued all of the participants who are often viewed as nothing special and easily replaceable. With all of these challenges it can be easy to become jaded and discouraged, however, with the right outlook and approach online dating can be a fantastic way to meet new people and potentially find exactly what you are looking for.
Here are 5 ways to make online dating work for you:
- Be open minded: The best approach to online dating is to have little or no expectations. Maybe you will make a new friend, maybe you will find true love, or maybe you will just have a funny story to laugh about with your friends. Just be open to the idea of meeting new and interesting people, and you won’t feel disappointed if you didn’t make a love connection.
- Don’t take anything personally: Like anywhere, the online dating world has its share of rude, ill-mannered and weird people. Don’t take it personally if someone from online is rude or insulting to you. It is a reflection on them, not you, and in no way should you let someone else’s rude behaviour cause you to feel bad about yourself. You need to have a thick skin to successfully online date as the process itself devalues us all.
- Be positive: Rather than assuming the worst about potential online suitors, assume the best. Assume that they are genuine, sincere and interested in you and you will give off a positive energy that will attract positive people.
- Listen to your instincts: If your gut is telling you that something doesn’t seem right about someone, listen to it. While I recommend viewing people positively, you also need to use common sense and be smart about who you meet, and where or how you meet them. Being positive doesn’t mean that you take risks with your safety or waste your time with someone who your instincts tell you is being less than honest.
- Be open to the idea that your Prince or Princess Charming may come in a package that looks different than the one you envisioned: One of the biggest shortcomings of online dating is that you can’t tell from a photo or profile whether you will feel any chemistry with someone. Sometimes the person who seems less than stellar on paper or a computer screen, can be charismatic and have an outstanding personality that attracts you when you meet in person. Don’t be so rigid with your checklist of qualities your prospective date must have that you miss out on the opportunity to meet someone fantastic.
Online dating is here to stay so if you are single you might as well use it to your advantage. This simple approach will ensure that you have fun with it whether you meet the love of your life or not.